Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Avoiding Injury

This post was originally written for Running Towards Home. (You should check out Josh's blog. Definitely an inspiring story.) I thought it would be appropriate to share it here on my blog.

When I began training for a marathon 2 years ago, I did it with my eyes closed. Not literally, obviously. In terms of my knowledge of running technique and knowledge of this wonderful sport, I did it with my eyes closed. The result? I started having pain in my knee. I tried to do too much too fast.

After multiple doctor visits, physical therapy and an MRI, I found that nothing was torn just "overuse" as they described it. Great, I just spent hundreds of dollars to be told "tough it out you panzy". It ended up being my IT Band.

I stopped running for a few months and took up other alternatives (swimming and biking that were much easier on the knees. I still do these on my alternate days to strengthen support muscles.) In the meantime, I talked to a few running friends who I consider to be more of an expert in this field. My desire was to learn how to "run the right way".

Here is what I learned:

1. Running form is not important it is ESSENTIAL When it comes to running form, my biggest pitfall was the heal strike. Avoiding landing on your heal. Landing more on the middle or front of your foot is better for you. Something that I was told to do is to take your shoes off and jog around. Where do your feet land? This is a great indicator of how you should run WITH your shoes on. When I started running again, I started small by only running a mile or two with this knew form. I had sore muscles, but no pain in my knee anymore.

Here is a video that shows proper running form.



2. Follow a training schedule  - I've been using Hal Higdon's training schedule www.halhigdon.com. It does not matter what level of running you are at, there is a training schedule that can help youl. It helps to increase mileage, but at a pace that your body can handle. There are also other great training schedules. Just google “Couch to 5k” if you are looking for something to get you off that couch and running.

3. Pay attention to how you feel (before, during and after a run) - When it comes to running listening to your body will help you develop into a great runner. Your body knows what you can and can’t handle. While you are running, evaluate how you feel. If you need to slow down or walk, do it. It’s okay. Pushing yourself too fast, will only increase your likelihood of injury.

4. Have fun. It is one of the best feelings to get out and run.  It is exhilarating.  I get to see amazing scenery and I’ve never been in better shape. I find joy during the run, but my wife finds the joyful part after the run. It doesn’t matter when you find “fun” during or after, as long as you get out and experience it.


Based on me implementing these four steps, I’ve been able to increase my mileage. I have completed three half marathons. Each time, I have shaved off at least 5 minutes per race. I’m now training again for a marathon and excited to complete it with no injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment