Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Back to the Basics

Yesterday I went on a 6 mile run. It was not about how fast or how far I ran. It was just a way for me to clear my mind. It felt fantastic. I can get lost in my thoughts and make sense of things - it is a way for me to evaluate where I am and where I want to be. It is one of the many reasons I love running.

Running is one of my outlets for the stresses that I am feeling and experiencing. My life only continues to get busier and more complicated with things that are required of me.

When I begin to feel overwhelmed due to responsibilities, feeling lost or wondering if I can get it all done, I have this "checklist" in my mind. What is my checklist? It is a list of "the basics" that help me to get back to... well me.

  • Scripture time (daily)
  • Personal prayers 
  • time with my wife
  • time with my children
  • exercise (running or biking for me)
  • service
  • personal hobby
Another great thing about this list is if I ever feel out of balance or that something is wrong, I go back to these things and see what I am missing. One thing that I have realized is that when I spend quality time in each of these areas, I am at my happiest.

What are things that you do to get "back to the basics"?

No comments:

Post a Comment